CHIMNEY WATERPROOFING AND REPAIR
Water is a chimney’s worst enemy. Chimney leaks, fireplace leaks, and water damage may be from exterior water intrusion caused by no chimney cap, crown cracks and deterioration, mortar joint deterioration, cracking in the masonry construction, flashing and roof leaks, shoulder slab gaps, foundation cracking, and/or flue gas condensation.
All the brick and other materials that make up your home are protected by the roof and eave; all that is, except your chimney. The chimney sticks up above the roof and is constantly exposed to all the elements—rain, snow, wind, and the freeze and thaw cycles of winter—all while absorbing water.
Most masonry materials are very porous and absorb large amounts of water that will expand and contract through the freeze and thaw cycles of winter, causing undue stress, cracking, chimney leaks, fireplace leaks, and integrity loss. This endless cycle will progressively escalate the severity of chimney leaks and increase the cost of fireplace chimney repairs.
Masonry water damage caused by chimney leaks is sometimes a slow, subtle process. Chimney leaks are often not evident until it has become quite serious.
Here at Atlanta Chimney Doctor, we take chimney leaks seriously. Our experts protect your home. We work hard to make sure we fix problems right the first time. Our chimney leak repair service ensures your chimney’s integrity remains intact. The expertise of our chimney specialists ensures your chimney will perform well for years to come and prevent unnecessary stress on the system that can result in escalating chimney problems. Contact us today to schedule chimney leak repairs in Kennesaw, Acworth, Alpharetta, Marietta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Dallas, and Atlanta.
Chimney Leak Repair
A leaking chimney is a serious danger to your health. It can lead to mold and mildew in your home as well as water damage, which can affect the structural integrity of your house and damage your possessions. If left unchecked, a chimney leak can lead to costly repairs such as replacing drywall and flooring.
Chimney leaks are caused by a variety of issues, including foundation problems, lack of a chimney cap, cracks in the masonry and other problems. You may even notice water in your fireplace. Fireplaces themselves can also leak, which is why we offer fireplace leak repair services as well.
Chimney Leak Prevention
Once you have repaired any leaks in your chimney and fireplace, you’ll want to establish a plan to prevent future problems. Fortunately, many fireplace chimney leaks are preventable. By keeping your chimney and fireplace in good repair and scheduling professional inspections on a regular basis, you can notice and resolve problems before they worsen.
If an inspection shows that your chimney cap is missing or damaged, for example, you can replace it before water enters your home and causes damage. If you wait until water is pouring down your walls or into your fireplace, you may need to replace drywall, paint, masonry and other parts of your walls and chimney — chances are, the damage has been going on for some time.
Steps to Protect Your Investment From Chimney Leaks
Chimney leak prevention is simple with a few preventative steps:
- Install a good chimney liner: Water is not the only leak you need to worry about. A stainless steel liner will last a lifetime and allow gases to escape your chimney so they don’t get trapped in your home.
- Keep an eye on your fireplace and chimney: Make it a habit to look at your chimney from different angles and inspect your fireplace when cleaning. If you notice big changes or any issues, such as deteriorated brick and mortar joints, contact a professional chimney repair service.
- Maintain your chimney cap and chimney crown: A chimney cap can keep water and pests out of your chimney, helping to prevent further damage and leaks. It’s important to have professional-grade chimney caps installed as well as call the experts to repair a damaged chimney crown with Crown Coat.
- Get your fireplace and chimney inspected at least every year: Your own visual inspection can only go so far. A professional inspection using video scanning can see what is happening in your fireplace and chimney. While professional inspections cannot foresee every possible cause of leaks, they can often pinpoint damage and issues that could cause a leak. As a result, you can take care of smaller repair needs before they turn into a serious problem.
- Invest in chimney flashing repair and waterproofing services: Products such as ChimneySaver Water-Base Water Repellent prevent water from damaging your chimney, helping the masonry and other components last longer. Atlanta Chimney Doctor can help you find waterproofing solutions for your home as well as repair or replace a leaky flashing.
Contact Us Today
Atlanta Chimney Doctor helps homeowners who may find themselves facing water leaking into their e chimney each time it rains. Our team focuses on safety first and works to make your chimney and fireplace functional and safe again. If your chimney or fireplace has sprung a leak, call us at (678) 525-7943 for immediate service or request chimney services online today.